Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A 1920's Work of Art


For years now, I've wanted to acquire my own genuine artifact preserved from the deco age- the 1920's. All created then was exquisitely beautiful, artistic, and intricately crafted. At first, I thought I would be able to search and search to find an agreeable deal on an authentic 1920's beaded dress. Nevertheless, it turned out that the most structurally sound and wearable articles are beyond what I can even comprehend to afford to pay for them.






Fortunately, my experiences have turned me in another direction: purses. A plethora of uniquely beaded bags with origins from France, Germany, and even the United States are unmatched by any other time period. Because of my time spent working at Helen Uffner Vintage with close contact to unimaginably mind-blowing relics, I have become inspired by each and every purse that captivated the Art Deco Era.





From completely beaded, beaded with metal frames, beaded with ornately detailed frames, beaded with celluloid accents, crocheted with beads, micro-beaded, metal mesh, enameled metal mesh, steal beaded, and so on, there are infinite options. Undoubtedly, there was no other decade with as many works of art gracing a woman's beaded wristlet than the roaring 20's. Luminescent colors ranged from emerald to turquoise to sapphire to violet to ruby to coral to bright white. Pictures were formed from tiny beads: swans swimming in a pond beneath a clear blue sky, a scenic mountain view glimpsed through a European cottage, and a bountiful cornucopia surrounded by fruit and flowers. These traveling masterpieces debuted on every woman's wrist. 




Thus, after such an infatuation took over me with these 90-year-old showpieces, I realized my calling was to purchase one of the purses for myself. I knew I had to have one that was all intact because I can't sew (and definitely not tiny beads that need to be restrung). While I was taking a break from New York at home in Arizona, I stopped in to this quaint antique shop in a house called Cherry Street Antiques. There were cases of older heirlooms all over the shop, signifying it was imperative for me to look carefully.



I inspected about 20 different 1920's beaded purses. All were inspiring, yet entirely out of my price range, with more than one flaw (which is perfectly acceptable, but with me, I like to wear my vintage in addition to admire it). Finally, one caught my eye during my assessment. Probably one of the most exceptional beaded bags I have ever seen, mint condition, and only 45 dollars, instead of a whopping 120 to 300 dollars. 



When I realized this 1920's bit of history was meant to be mine, a thrilling and accomplished feeling came over me. I now would be an owner of a piece of deco art. And how often do you see mimicked zebra-like stripes fashioned out of tiny beads attached to a pewter frame adorned with cherubs matched together for the perfect juxtaposition in an accessory that was meant to be carried by a woman on her elegant evening out? Never.

I lucked out with a one-of-a-kind for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment