Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Am Nostalgia

Do you ever get the vibe that you're more connected with prior periods of time than you are with the present?


I've realized that I'm not only drawn to vintage fashion, but all components of my life extract elements from previous eras.

Any shade of red lipstick will do, whether it's classic red or vampy black cherry. There's no other route for me to take with makeup or I don't feel like myself. Fundamentally, I am naked without red lipstick. The more Lucille Ball or Arleen Whelan my hair, the better it looks. I wish every day of my life that the Nestlé Permanent Hair Wave was prevalent and still in existence so I could have the finger wave look of the 20's and 30's. And even when I don't put too much time into sculpting my hair, I turn to a close imitation of 40's Victory Rolls in an up-do.





Now my apartment has no elements of modernity present inside. I integrated characteristics of the Rococo period into its style. For instance, the colors are the major ones that appeared all throughout 18th century decadence: seafoam, light pink, cream, and gold. Tapestries depicting the elegant life in the 1700's adorn my walls imported from Germany, Italy, and Belgium. My plates are even Marie Antoinette inspired with portraits of Pompadour ladies wearing ship, flag, and flower bouquet hats on top of their extra-high powdered wigs. The more romantic, the happier I am.






And where do I begin with the media I am fond of? I think I've covered most period television shows and films, and if I haven't, then I'm currently watching them. As of the moment, I most enjoy Vikings, Call the Midwife, Parade's End, and The Americans. Still, the film I can put on repeat and never tire of is Pride and Prejudice. Out of every last book I've recently read, Rules of Civility stands out. The detailed lives of those living in New York in the sophisticated 1930's is a story especially intriguing and unforgettable.



Although I don't frequent the night scene too often, when I do, the bars I visit aren't dive bars loaded with an array of beers and fried anythings, but authentic speakeasies that actually existed during prohibition. The one I most adore is Clover Club, inspired by the gentleman's Clover Club from the 19th century to the 1920's that congregated at the Bellevue Hotel every month. The cocktails are reminiscent of another generation and the setting takes you to a time when it would feel scandalous to take a sip of alcohol. 



Besides the usual stops at the market and pharmacy, the only shops I frequent are antique and vintage boutiques. I cannot get enough of looking through relics from the past that all have a particular story to tell. Items from shoes to garments to glassware were all crafted with much more care and quality than in the present.


Let's not forget music. I don't frequently have an iPod in my ears because I deny the obsession with technology. Yet, when I listen to music, I get lost in jazz from the 20's, Big Band from the 30's, and the eloquent voices from the 40's and 50's. Sixties music provides a range of elements I'm attracted to as well. A unique voice and instrumental talent was treasured in the past, which is why the equation is me + vintage music = love. 






I know, I know. Old cars don't have airbags, aren't safe, and cost more than chump change if they have a problem that needs fixing. However, that doesn't mean I can't be crazy about them. There's nothing like seeing a vintage car pass you by when you're in a sea of modern plastic boxes trying too hard to seem futuristic and sleek. Vintage cars just emit an aura: beauty and class emanating through every single atom.




Furthermore, I know you're surprised, but Disneyland is not my preferred travel destination, nor is hiking through volcanoes in Hawaii. I prefer touring the majestic castles erected during 15th century Europe, strolling along a cobblestone road lined with antique shops in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, or picturing what the Parisians felt in the Moulin Rouge during La Belle Époque (such as in Midnight in Paris). 







Finally, what would my life be without work and school? Well, of course I'd only search for the most fitting intern position at Helen Uffner Vintage- a 6,000 square foot warehouse with an amass of special vintage clothing, accessories, and shoes from the 1850's to 1980's to rent out to films, theater, television, and editorial work. Working there is a dream. Nevertheless, acquiring a place such as that museum is a goal to aspire to. Plus, I want to own all of the rental pieces (it's hard to resist). The most enticing classes at school for me have always involved history. Whether it was fashion history (also touching on cultures of the world), American history, or an entire semester learning about The Beatles, former decades have always been my go-to.





Thus, there's no question, the past weaves into my present through all aspects of my being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment